After an Auto Accident: Seek Medical Attention
Your heart is pounding. Your breath is short. Your mind is racing. Is everyone ok? Are you ok? In the moments after an accident, it is difficult to think clearly. Adrenaline is pumping, and this can mask symptoms of serious injuries. Conditions from a concussion and brain injury to spinal injury and internal bleeding can take hours to manifest. Always seek medical attention after an auto accident.
As soon as you can, go to the emergency room or to your doctor. This is an important safety measure, of course - and that is the top priority. But if the accident was caused by the recklessness, carelessness, or negligence of another party, you need this medical documentation in order to protect your rights.
Your first stop should be the ER or your regular primary care physician. But after that, can a chiropractor offer relief from pain and help you recover? Yes.
Please know this: even a minor accident can result in neck and back pain, and these can develop into chronic issues. Chiropractic care after a crash can help by:
- Reducing Inflammation. Even if you have a clean X-ray, you may have micro-tears in your ligaments and muscles. After all, they’ve been jerked around and exposed to tremendous force. With spinal manipulation, your body can release anti-inflammatory substances into the body. This is an aid in acute pain relief.
- Regaining Range of Motion. Inflammation can impede the healing process; blood and essential nutrients cannot make it to the areas of the body that need them. Chiropractic care can adjust and mobilize the spine, accelerating healing.
- Reducing Scar Tissue. Besides visible scars that we can see on our skin, it is possible that car accidents can result in scarring on our muscles. This can cause a feeling of stiffness and discomfort. There is no need to live with this: chiropractic care can treat damaged areas and accelerate recovery.
- Reducing General Pain. Manipulation of the spine releases hormones that reduce pain. This helps target areas of pain caused by the accident and even pain that existed before. Natural pain relief is vastly preferable to relying on medications, including highly addictive opiates.
- Providing Effective, Non-Intrusive Care. When you see a chiropractor after an auto accident, you reduce your chances of experiencing long-term issues. Additionally, your chiropractic care team can develop a personalized plan to keep you active and mobile; this will help you recover more quickly, often without the need for drugs or invasive surgery.
If you have been injured in an auto accident, do not hesitate to contact Beth EL Wellness & Chiropractic. We understand how difficult it is to deal with the aftermath, and we will work with you to develop a plan that addresses your unique needs.